Custom Search

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Wintour Controls the Weather at Costume Gala

The Met's Annual Costume Institute gala brought out the best in our crazy, lovable celebrities last night...on the fashion front anyway. Makes sense.

"With this year’s gala titled 'Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy,' Anna "Snooty Poo-Pants" Wintour pointed out that she was Storm, the X-Men character. 'I control the weather,' she said." [NYT]

I'm glad I missed that part.

Here are some of my favorite looks of the night. Note: I only picked people who attempted to stick to the theme.

[Click to Enlarge All Photos]

Supermodel Amber Valetta in Atelier Versace. Jewelry by David Yurman.

Kate "I Have No Idea Who This Is" Mara
in Zac Posen. Jewelry by Fred Leighton. [Ignore Zac Posen in that ridiculous electric blue suit. The bottoms look like pajamas you'd find in Hugh Hefner's closet. God forbid! Actually, I guess Hef is a superhero to some people.]

Eva Longoria
in Marchesa. Jewelry by Verdura.
You can almost see the front of the gown in this picture.
Christina Ricci in Givenchy. Very, very nice! Way to stick to the theme!
Rachel Bilson (minus the hair) in Calvin Klein Collection. Chopard jewels. Her look had potential.

Max Azria (because at least he stuck with the theme, albeit it was a literal translation).
Katie Holmes in Giorgio Armani. Jewelry by Boucheron.



And just for kicks Anna Wintour as Storm, in Chanel Haute Couture.

Other attendees in "WTF are you wearing?" attire...

Wendi Murdoch (mail-order bride wife of Rupert Murdoch)
Karl Lagerfeld (who I still can't really hate on).

Anna Sui
in vintage Zandra Rhodes. Gak! Sui designed those boots, then made herself wear them.

And perhaps the worst... I don't know who this is but Style.com says it's Vogue's Sarah Brown in Giles.
She looks like an Easter-egg- dyed oil spill. Fug!

Oh yeah, and former supermodel Stephanie "We Don't Need To" Seymour because we can already see your boob pasties.
Classy!

A very BIG thank you to STYLE.COM, it provided most of the info. and almost all of the pictures on this posting.

Christina Ricci images via Just Jared.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kate Mara was in that movie with Mark Walhberg called Shooter I believe. Also did you see pics of the Olsen twins, I am not sure what they were going for?

Jen said...

Yeah I wiki-ed her. And provided a link. And yes, the Olsen's looked bad. I'm not sure what they were going for. But I hardly ever do. I'll put them up.