Custom Search

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

SJP is on the Cover Of "NY Magazine"

I admit I was skeptical at first; and thought the trailer looked terrible. But as May 30 draws near, I am getting more and more excited for the Sex and the City movie. The magic of marketing is working on me.

Keeping with that spirit, Sarah Jessica Parker, 43, is on the cover of the latest issue of New York Magazine.



She looks great. And the accompanying feature about her is touching. Quite a feat considering the writer, Emily Nussbaum, says things like, "She [SJP] looks her age, but then, so do I." She describes a frenetic fan, who accosts Parker on the streets of Manhattan, as having "enormous fringed pinwheels for eyes." Get my drift?

In short (kinda), Parker thinks the prolonged hiatus--four, long, years-- was actually a good thing.

Had the film been made according to plan--immediately after the series wrapped--it would have been a "light, summery, Bob Hope–style road movie, with the girls following separate paths."

Parker thanks Kim Catrrall--who is rumored to have held out for a fatter paycheck--for delaying the project saying, “Perhaps she was some kind of emotional psychic, because this way we made a better movie.”

Here's the part of the feature I found most poignant:

"The resulting film, is no summery lark. Instead, it has a surprisingly serious tone, exploring questions of forgiveness in long-term relationships. (Reader, I cried.) The trademark elements are all there—rat-a-tat dialogue, sex scenes, and unsettlingly orgasmic excitement upon access to designer goods—but the mood is bittersweet. When the story begins, Carrie and Big have been together for ten years, and the melodrama of their off-and-on dynamic has faded. 'She would probably long for that earlier type of heartbreak versus what she experiences this time around,' Parker says, dishing cryptic tidbits that are sure to be ruined when the movie gets spoiled online. 'The disappointment and the loss is so painful because they’re grown-ups now, and it just changes, as we all know.'”

Wow!

All right I'm done summarizing. If you haven't read this NY Mag feature, you definitely should, assuming you like SATC that is.

Image via Just Jared.

P.S. Bloggers if you ruin this movie for me, with your inconspicuous "Spoiler Alert" warnings, I'm going to be miffed. They can be easy to miss--and some of you just don't have them-- so I continue reading. If this happens, I might build up the nerve to leave you an angry comment.

No comments: