Custom Search

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Gonzo Documentary is Boring


I was amped to see the new Hunter S. Thompson documentary--Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson--at the movies on Saturday.

So magine my disappointment when it turned out to be loong and boring. About half way through I seriously contemplated walking out. I reconsidered when I reminded myself that I paid $10.25 to see it.

The doc unintentionally (?) depicts Thompson as a self-indulgent solipsist with little time for relationships or family, which he probably was. But dayum! Tell me something I don't know. Consequently, I think that may have been my main problem with the film. It doesn't tell you anything new.

I will say it touts lots of cool, old footage of Thompson. And a pleasantly surprised by an appearance made by Jimmy Buffett.

The Boston Globe has a more coherent/comprehensive take on the film.

Frankly, it's the end of 4th of July weekend, and I'm a little fried.

And if you're hankering for a good documentary, I recommend Roman Polanski: Hunted and Desired (HBO On Demand).

No comments: